Main menu

Pages

Simple past tense - El Mutaalim Academy _ اكاديمية المتعلم



Definition:

        Today's lesson we will talk about simple past tense. The simple past tense is used to talk about things/events that had happened in the past at a specific time and finished there, for that purpose we use simple past tense. 

Affirmative sentence:

To make a simple past sentence simply follow this pattern:


                                                     Subject + verb in past form

 Examples:

            _ You saw me yesterday.
            _ Last Sunday, I played foot-ball match with my friends.
            _ He gave you the pen.

>  "You", "I", and "H" are the subjects of the sentences, while "saw", "played", and "gave" are the verbs. "Yesterday", and "Last Sunday" are the time indicators.

>  The time indicators that we can use with simple past are the following: 
   _ Yesterday   _Last year   _Time   _day    _in 2010 
   _ when I was child.....     _ two months ago........

Negative sentence:

    To make a positive simple past statement the structure is:

                                 Subject + didn't + verb in base form 
           
Examples:

          _You saw me yesterday.   >>  _You didn't see me yesterday.
          _ He gave you the pen.    >>  _He didn't give you the pen. 

Question sentence:

   For questions sentences, the structure is:
                 
                             Did + Subject + Verb in base form. 
Examples:

             _You saw me yesterday.  >>  Did you see me yesterday?
             _ He gave you the pen.   >> Did he give you the pen?
  

reactions

Comments